‘Cannibal serial killer crushed homeless men’s skulls with a brick as they slept, then cut off their genitals and removed their intestines’
- Thandolwenkosi Ndlovu, 20, has been charged on five counts of murder
- He is alleged to have killed by dropping concrete blocks on victims as they slept
- Mr. Ndlovu claims earlier confession of cannibalism was extracted under duress
An alleged serial killer in Zimbabwe preyed on homeless victims and is said to have eaten their entrails in an eight day killing spree in the capital Harare.
Thadolwenkosi Ndlovu, 20, has been linked to a spree of five murders that took place across the city between August 28 and September 4, when he was arrested by Zimbabwean police.
Mr. Ndlovu is reported to have murdered his victims by dropping concrete blocks on their heads while they slept before extracting their organs using broken glass.
Appearing in court in Harare on Wednesday, Mr. Ndlovu appeared to walk back an earlier confession that he cooked and ate his victims’ flesh. He claimed that the confession of cannibalism had been extracted under duress by detectives.
He is alleged to have broiled and grilled victims’ entrails on an open fire, before consuming them. Police said that Mr. Ndlovu had also sought to cut off the genitals of one of his victims, but fled the scene before he was able to.
Thandolwenkosi Ndlovu, 20, right, is alleged to have murdered and cannibalised the victims of a killing spree that terrorised Harare’s homeless between August 28 and September 4
Mr. Ndlovu, seen here with torn trousers, is reported to also be linked to three murder cases in his hometown of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe’s second city
Mr. Ndlovu, who is reported to have been homeless himself, has been placed on remand.
Two of Mr. Ndlovu’s five victims have been identified. They have been named as Emmanuel Godfrey, 25, and Kutenda Chisanduro, whose age has yet to be released.
Mr. Ndlovu is charged with five counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder. He is also understood to have previously spent stints in prison in both Harare and Bulawayo, his hometown.
He is also reported to be linked to three murder cases in Bulawayo, in south-western Zimbabwe, in 2020.
There was widespread fear among the large homeless population in Harare as word of Mr. Ndlovu’s murders spread. Reports suggest that some had begun to sleep in groups for safety or had temporarily left Harare.
‘We decided to move out of the city fearing for our lives’, one homeless man told The Herald.
‘I am lucky to be alive, I could be dead by now. Imagine being roasted for relish,’ Panashe Uchena, 16, told The Standard. ‘He has been arrested, but I am still afraid. The streets are not safe anymore.’
Mr. Ndlovu, centre, is said by detectives to have been wearing bloodied clothing when he was arrested on September 4
Mr. Ndlovu is reported to have moved to neighbouring South Africa from Bulawayo with his father and sister in 2019. He is said to have struggled there, before returning to Zimbabwe.
George Kandiyero, president of the Zimbabwe National Traditional Healers’ Association, said that reports about Mr. Ndlovu’s murders suggested ritualistic purposes.
‘It could be insanity, but at the same time this could be his beliefs of gaining some certain power from that. This is definitely found on the dark side, and it is not clear at all,’ he explained.
While police said that they had found no evidence indicating that the murders were made for any ritual purpose, Mr. Kandiyero said that he had met with officials to discuss the case.
Mr. Ndlovu’s killing spree comes only a year after another serial killer, Bright Zhantali, was arrested in connection with nine murders in a city in central Zimbabwe.
I am Rakesh Sharma, I associated with Elite News as an Editor, since 2021. I take care of all the news operations like content, budget, hiring and policy making.