As you probably already know, tragedy struck the hip hop world very early on Tuesday morning.
While hanging out at a bowling alley in Houston, Takeoff, one-third of the popular group Migos, was shot to death after an assailant opened fire during some sort of altercation.
Takeoff was only 28 years old.
The incident occurred around 2:30 am local time at the end of a private party that was taking place at 810 Billiards and Bowling Houston.
Now, thanks to a press conference that took place on November 1st, along with reports from reliable websites like TMZ, we are able to offer some updates regarding this sad story.
FirstA source told the aforementioned celebrity gossip website that Takeoff was coming to the aid of Quavo (a close friend and another Migos member) amid an argument at the establishment that lasted about 30 seconds before the shooting began.
TMZ even got footage of this argument, which included a discussion about playing basketball and someone, possibly Quavo, saying “I don’t get down like that.”
A very short time later, approximately 10 shots are heard on the video… as attendees run off in multiple directions.
The takeoff went off near the end, and he was eventually pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
SecondMembers of the Houston Police Department held a news conference Tuesday afternoon and stated that a 23-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman were also injured in the chaos.
They were taken to a hospital and are expected to survive.
According to police, at least two firearms were used in the shooting, though they couldn’t say how many times the takeoff was hit.
The culprits remain at large and authorities are asking anyone with information to come forward.
“There were 40 people, at least, at this event. And people left, possibly out of fear,” Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said at the news conference.
“I ask you something… What if it was your brother? What if it was your son? You would want someone to come forward. So please step forward.
“Send us the information so we can bring some closure to this family that is hurting right now.”
Meanwhile, detectives are reviewing surveillance footage of the venue, along with videos and photos from social media and partygoers.
Finner emphasized that while he did not wish to speculate, there was no indication that Takeoff had been involved in “anything criminal” at the time of the shooting.
“Everyone talked about what a great young man this is, how peaceful he is, what a great artist,” the Chief told reporters and the general public.
In the wake of this tragedy, countless celebrities and musicians have posted their shocked and sad thoughts on social media.
For its part, the Harris County Medical Examiner now lists Takeoff’s primary cause of death as “penetrating gunshot wounds to the head and torso to the arm.”
The late star’s record label, Quality Control Music, issued a statement yesterday, which reads in part:
“Senseless violence and a stray bullet have taken another life from this world and we are devastated.”
May Takeoff rest in peace.